A good extruder system is among the most important elements to get the best 3D prints. And with a myriad of options, it is easy to get overwhelmed by choices. That’s why in this article, we are helping you find the best 3D printer extruder.
List Of Best 3D printer extruder
- Redrex Upgraded Aluminum Bowden Extruder
- BMG Extruder 3D Printer
- WINSINN Dual Gear Extruder
- Double Gear MK8 Extruder
- Zeelo 3D Printer Dual Driver Extruder
- AJSPOW 3D Printer Extruder
- Meepocan Bowden 3D Printer Extruder
- F1rst Layer Dual Gear Extruder
- Titan Bowden Mounting Extruder
- PrinterMods Ender 3 Direct Drive Extruder
Best 3D printer extruder for 2021 Review – Key Features, Pros, And Cons
There are tons of options among 3d print extruders, and reviewing them one by one can be time-consuming. In the below table, we have handpicked some of the best products and compared them against key basis:
|IMAGE||NAME & Details||DETAILS|
|Redrex Upgraded |
Aluminum Bowden Extruder
|Check The Price|
|BMG Extruder 3D Printer||Check The Price|
|WINSINN Dual Gear Extruder||Check The Price|
|Double Gear MK8 Extruder||Check The Price|
|Zeelo 3D Printer Dual Driver Extruder||Check The Price|
|AJSPOW 3D Printer Extruder||Check The Price|
|Meepocan Bowden 3D Printer Extruder||Check The Price|
|F1rst Layer Dual Gear Extruder||Check The Price|
|Titan Bowden Mounting Extruder||Check The Price|
|PrinterMods Ender 3 Direct Drive Extruder||Check The Price|
1. Redrex Upgraded Aluminum Bowden Extruder
- Direct drive extruder
- Integrates NEMA stepper motor mount
- Ideal for 1.75mm filament
- Made from heavy-duty aluminum alloy material
The first product on our list of best 3D printer extruders is a product by Redex. It is designed using heavy-duty aluminum alloy material. Therefore, you can rest assured of the stability and durability. Moreover, the company has designed it to be compatible with 1.75 mm. The support of the direct extruder enhances extruder as well as retraction by eliminating the need for the Bowden tube.
- The extruder is easy to install.
- You will get excellent print quality.
- The sturdiness and built of the device are exceptional.
- It works excellently with flex filaments.
- Due to the metal body, the heat from the motor passes through the structure and makes filaments soft.
- There is no option to modify the tension when needed.
- The fittings on the extruder could have been firmer.
2. BMG Extruder 3D Printer
- Dual-drive extruder
- The internal transmission ratio of 3:1
- Works for PLA, PETG, ABS, PLA, Carbon Fiber, Nylon, and Wood filament.
- Compatibility with top 3D printers
This dual-drive BMG Boden extruder is the perfect addition to your modern 3D printer. It offers high accuracy and an internal transmission ratio of 3:1. Moreover, the company recommends E-steps:385 to obtain the best results. A great thing about this product is that it offers compatibility with all kinds of filaments like TPU, ABS, PLA, PETG, carbon fiber, wood, and nylon. BMG also offers 90 days return and exchange policy if you do not like the product.
- It allows you to increase the speed of the print.
- The extruder has a strong build that ensures durability.
- It comes with an easy set of instructions.
- The manufacturer offers return and exchange flexibility.
- The screw on the extruder is a bit loose.
- There is no flexibility to adjust the extruder.
- It is only suitable for DIY 3D printers.
3. WINSINN Dual Gear Extruder
- Double gear extruder mechanism
- All-metal aluminum alloy body
- Ideal for 1.75mm filaments
On your quest to find the best 3D printer extruder, you will certainly come across this product by WINSINN. The device integrates a new double gear extruder mechanism. It touts an all-metal aluminum alloy and premium dual gear extruder. The built of the extruder reflects stability and durability. It is designed to be compatible with 1.75mm filament. This extruder by WINSINN is among the best replacements for Creality 3D Printer, CR-10S/CR-10/CR-10S, Tornado, Ender 3, etc.
- The extruder offers excellent accuracy.
- The small diameter allows you to add little torque to push the filament through the printer.
- The parts of the extruder are built to last.
- It has a more consistent flow rate.
- The lack of an instruction guide makes the set-up complex.
- The compression spring does not properly connect with the extruder.
- The M3 screw is too long, which makes it difficult to release tension using the lever.
4. Double Gear MK8 Extruder
- Dual gear and dual pneumatic joint extruder structure
- Designed to be used with 1.75 mm filament
- Integration of imported aviation aluminum materials
You should definitely consider double gear MK8 as your next extruder. The dual-gear and dual pneumatic joint extruder structure improves the feed strength. Moreover, it facilitates smooth feeding and better pressures to move the filament into the device. Additionally, the all-metal aluminum alloy body adds to the strength of the device. And, the material also includes imported aviation aluminum material that increases strength and durability.
- The construction is solid and will last for a long time.
- It comes with 24 months warranty services.
- You get great speed with the extruder.
- There is no installation manual, making this difficult for the users.
- The filaments keep slipping even when the tube is disconnected.
- The fitting could have been better.
5. Zeelo 3D Printer Dual Driver Extruder
- Dual gear extruder
- Upgraded spring for stability
- Aluminum alloy construction
- Kit includes screws for installation
The reason why this product is on our list is because of its design, feature, and versatility. It touts dual gears that offer easy feeding, better pressure to move the filament into the nozzle, and eliminates blocking. The kit includes screws so that you can easily assemble the device. Moreover, the extruder is designed using aluminum alloy for stability and durability.
- You will get the desired stability and strength.
- The package includes a screw for installation..
- The company offers after-sales services for assistance.
- Defective items can be returned and replaced easily.
- The picture instructions are a bit vague.
- The hardware lacks a thoughtful design.
- The printing is not that powerful.
6. AJSPOW 3D Printer Extruder
- Filament integrated on the right side.
- The kit includes all screws and parts for installation
- Built using industrial-grade aluminum alloy
AJSPOW is the next brand we considered worthy to be on this list. The plate on the product has a filament port on the right side. Moreover, the product is designed using a heavy-duty aluminum alloy that offers strength and durability. The package includes all the necessary parts and screws. This way, you do not have to make additional purchases. The manufacturer claims to provide stronger pressure to push the filament into the nozzle and improve the printing performance. Additionally, you will get a lifetime guarantee on the product.
- All the installation hardware is included in the kit.
- The construction of this extruder is strong and durable.
- The aluminum filament feeder is excellent.
- The company offers a lifetime guarantee.
- There is no feature that allows tension adjustments.
- The print quality is average.
- Users may have trouble fitting the screw.
7. Meepocan Bowden 3D Printer Extruder
- Integrates dual drive with an internal gearing ratio of 3:1
- Includes CNC-machined hardened steel drive gears
- Encompasses unique dual-drive technology
- Offers adjustable tension
Along with the extruder, the kit also has a 1m PTFE Bowden tube, two tube connector clippers, and a tube cutter. Moreover, it integrates dual-drive technology, which feeds the filament efficiently into the nozzle for uninterrupted printing. The product has a gearing ratio of 3:1 that extends powerful torque. Furthermore, the thumbscrew tensioner enables the users to adjust the pressure using the drive gears on the filament. There is also a quick-release that facilitates materials changes by simply activating the quick-release lever to lower the tension and change the material out of the extruder.
- The thickness of the extruder makes it more durable.
- The adjustable tension features add to the usability.
- The product is built with quality and durability in mind.
- The kit comes with all the necessary hardware for installation.
- The tension screw hole seemed a bit offset to deal with.
- Sometimes the extruder makes loud noises.
8. F1rst Layer Dual Gear Extruder
- Incorporates BonTech Technology
- Include two precision machines gears featuring matching threaded groove
- Spring tension can be adjusted
Another option to consider when looking for the best 3D Extruder is the one by F1rst. The product includes the BondTech technology to offer improved print. The spring tension can be adjusted to increase or decreases the force the device puts on the filament. It engulfs Capricorn PTFE which is Teflon tubing that offers high control standards.
- It offers smooth filament extruding.
- The 3 feet Bowden tubing allows the filament to operate efficiently.
- The installation process is straightforward.
- You will get quality prints.
- The lever is sloppy on the pivot, which rocks the driven spline during the operation.
- The driven spline is not compatible with holes in the filaments.
9. Titan Bowden Mounting Extruder
- Integrates dual-drive technology
- Compatible with 1.75 mm
- 90 days return and exchange warranty
Integrated with dual drive technology, this extruder is one of the best in the market. It has a gearing ratio of 3:1, ensuring precise printing. The product is compatible with filaments measuring 1.75 mm. Moreover, the product supports both short distance and remote feeding. Lastly, you will get 90 days to return and a replacement warranty from the company.
- It is fairly easy to assemble.
- The quality construction offers durability and reliability.
- The company offers a 90-days return and replacement policy.
- There needs to be more filling on the metal gear to eliminate the burs.
- The package does not have any hardware for installation.
- There is no stepper motor in the package.
10. PrinterMods Ender 3 Direct Drive Extruder
- Integration of direct drive technology
- There is used of PrinterMods MDD
- No firmware flashing
- Compatibility with different printable mods
The last product on our list is by PrinterMods. The direct-drive technology boosts the extruder and retraction by eliminating the need for a PTFE tube. The product is light in weight and claims to have an easy installation process. Moreover, the device offers compatibility with Ender 3 or CR-10 extruder and hot end.
- It will work as claimed with Ender 3.
- The instruction guide is clear and easy to follow.
- The construction material is excellent.
- You will have to change the configuration of the printer after installation.
- The print quality is average.
- It does not work with all 3D printers.
Your Next 3D Printer Extruder Buying Guide
Following are some of the factors you need to consider when choosing you next extruder.
There are two types of 3D printer extruders, including direct extruders and Bowden extruders. Choosing between these two options will depend on your needs.
Direct 3D Printer Direct Extruder
It is known as direct as they are attached to the hot end directly. These are most commonly integrated into plug-and-play 3D printers. Moreover, they come with gears. Science direct extruders are incorporated with hot ends; it reduces the distance that the filament needs to travel. There are fewer variables that can go south and less time and distance for the filament to deal with issues. This is considered to be particularly valuable in 3D printing flexible filaments.
3D Printer Bowden Extruder
They are directly connected to the hot end. Instead, the Bowden extruder comes with a PTFE tube that links the extruder with the hot end. This form of tube is also known as the Bowden tube.
The heater block is an integral part of the extruder as it helps in heating the filament. This part generates the heat to melt the filament and often deals with reliability issues. The regular heating and cooling of the heater block makes it vulnerable to failure
3D printer extruder comes with nozzles and is among the most important factors to consider. The nozzle integrated into the extruder allows the filament to flow out onto the object. Therefore it will have a considerable impact on the precision of the end results. Moreover, the diameter of the nozzle will decide how fast the object is designed as it will deposit more filament altogether. Oftentimes you have to select between speed and precision when considering the diameter of the nozzle. Unfortunately, you cannot get both together.
A lot relies on the 3D extruder; therefore, you should look for models featuring superior quality built. Products that are manufactured to comply with higher standards are likely to cost more. However, you can rest assured of their reliability and durability.
It is the area where the filament gets collected when it is heated. Although the cartridge is responsible for generating the heat, the heating barrel is the part where the heat comes in the end. So the heating barrel you choose must be able to deal with the expansion and contraction of the filaments. Considering that it is heated and cooled frequently, durability should be your consideration factor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Are dual extruders worth it?
People, especially ones who are merely starting out their journey with a 3D extruder, go for single extruders. This is because investing in dual extruders adds a level of complexity to the printing endeavors. On the other hand, there are many benefits of dual extruders. It allows you to design more engaging and gravity-defying models through support filaments. Moreover, dual extruders also make it easier to develop multi-colored prints.
Q: What does the hot end do in a 3D printer?
The hot end is an important element of a 3D printer, which melts the filament for extruders and assists in maintaining an accurate and consistent temperature to obtain successful prints.
Q: Do 3D printers require heat to function?
A 3D printer needs a heated bed if you want to get 3D printed with ABS material. The contraction rate of ABS is rather high, which results in warping issues during the printing process. If the bed can be heated, ABS will be incorporated on the heat bed firmly and reduced chances of warping.
Q: What is the most flexible 3D printing material?
There are different materials that come with flexible properties; the two major kinds of flexible filaments include Thermoplastic Elastomer and Thermoplastic Polyurethane. These filaments are designed using thermoplastic elastomers that are acquired from a combination of soft rubber and hard plastic. Among both, thermoplastic polyurethane is the commonly used flexible material in the industry.
Q: Does room temperature affect 3D printing?
You can 3D print in a hot or cold room as long as your 3D printer holds proper conditions like the right materials, consistent printing temperature. Moreover, if you 3D print ABS in a cold room, you are probably dealing with a lot of warping issues. But you can pull off PLA in a cold room.
Q: Is PLA or ABS stronger?
To begin with, they are both thermoplastics. When it comes to choosing the stronger among them, PLA is stiffer and stronger than ABS. However, it lacks heat-resistance abilities, so they are more suitable for hobbyists. Although ABS is less rigid and weaker, it is lighter and tougher, making it ideal for prototyping applications.
Buying the best 3D printer extruder does not have to be that difficult if you know where to look for it. Here we have carefully selected and reviewed some of the best extruders out there so that you spend less time picking and evaluating the products. Eventually, the kind of extruder you choose should be able to cater to your printing needs.