It’s essential to pick out the best paper for art prints from the best brands to achieve the best results in your art—the kind of paper you use to determine how your artwork turns out. Paper for art prints is available in an assortment for you to choose from based on features.
We tried and tested various options currently available and narrowed down to our top choices presented here.
Best Paper for Art for 2021 Review: Key Features, Pros, and Cons
You may face a challenge picking out the best paper for art prints when you have so many choices. Comparing potential options can help you know what best suits you.
We have put together some of the best options for you in the table below. Read through it to know what every product has to offer.
|IMAGE||NAME & Details||DETAILS|
|Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper||Check The Price|
|Finestra Art Smooth Fine Art Double Sided Sheets||Check The Price|
|PPD Inkjet Canvas Printable Cotton||Check The Price|
|Strathmore (59-701 Textured Inkjet Paper||Check The Price|
|PPD Inkjet Photo Rag Fine Art Giclee Archival Paper||Check The Price|
|Promaster Fine Art Inkjet Paper||Check The Price|
|Hahnemuhle Matte Fine Art Paper||Check The Price|
1. Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper
- 100% cotton
- Bright white
- Enhanced 1440 dpi printing
Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper is one of the best papers for art prints for various reasons. You are in a good place if you know how to utilize it fully.
It would be best to consider using this paper for art print because it can hold ink for decades. You never have to worry about your works fading once you use them.
It also carries an elaborate texture that you don’t have to touch to notice. It is a pure cotton rag, making it the best choice for various art print projects.
The best thing you can do is couple the best printers and ink with this paper for art print to get the best results. Also, if you want your work to last up to 100 years, you can use anti-UV protection on your work.
- It works best for Giclee print which can be a bit limiting.
- Feeding this paper into the printer can present a challenge because of its thickness.
2. Finestra Art Smooth Fine Art Double-Sided Sheets
- 100% cotton
- Acid and Lignin free
- Bright white
- Lifetime warranty
When testing this paper, we definitely noticed the 100% high-quality cotton design which makes it easy to work with. It is also acid and lignin-free, allowing you to use many inks. The work it produces is high quality so investing a bit more into this premium option will pay off in the long run.
Once you have chosen the kind of ink you want to use, you can consider protecting your projects using an anti-UV spray. Besides spraying it to protect your art from the sun, spraying this paper with a waterproof seal is also essential.
Using this paper comes with the advantage that you can use it with various types of printers. Whatever kind of printer you choose to use does not affect the quality of the paper.
- This product offers high-quality color fidelity and contrast.
- It’s versatile when it comes to the kind of printer you can use with it.
- The fact that it is double-sided narrows the possibility of misusing it.
- It offers high-quality productions.
- The 8×10 paper may be too small for specific projects.
- It does not come already waterproof, so you have to improvise and waterproof it yourself.
3. PPD Inkjet Canvas Printable Cotton
- Textured matte finish
- Easy feed coating
- Instant dry
This paper is one of the most flexible types. Its flexibility comes from the fact that you can use this paper to print anything. For instance, you can use it for digital art and high-end photography.
You can use any kind of ink with it. It’s the perfect paper for you if you are looking for something that will give your artwork a textured matte finish. It’s fast-drying, so you don’t have to worry about ink smudging on it.
You can take advantage of its fast drying qualities and use as much ink as you need to bring out your artwork’s details. Feel confident about working on this paper since it fully protects your art.
- PPD Inkjet Canvas Printable Cotton has broad compatibility with most printers.
- It produces high-resolution and high-quality images.
- You can use dye-based and pigmented inks with it.
- The instant dry characteristic allows you to handle your work immediately it comes out of the printer
- There might be an issue with horizontal prints on this paper, especially in the landscape format.
4. Strathmore 59-701 Textured Inkjet Paper
- Inkjet paper texture
- Multi-printer compatibility
The textured finish and quality of this paper speak for it. Besides, the paper’s texture and quality allow you to experience its great ink holding capacity. We found that it is quick-drying in addition to these qualities.
You will like the fact that it is pretty flexible when it comes to the kind of printer you can use with it. Using the common types of printers doesn’t affect the print quality.
Its white surface provides excellent contrast for your art as well. Ensure that you select your ink correctly to get the best results.
You can find this paper at an affordable price if you are looking for paper to practice on. It is an excellent alternative if you are still developing your skills.
- Strathmore (59-701) is flexible textured inkjet paper. It is suitable for replicating pastel watercolor projects.
- You can use any kind of printer.
- The product has high resolution.
- You can only use it for watercolor-style cards, which is a bit limiting.
5. PPD Inkjet Photo Rag Fine Art Giclee Archival Paper
- Acid –Free
- Fully Archival
- Wide color gamut
- Matte finish
- Brilliant whites
- 100% cotton fabric
- UV resistant
Unlike some paper for art print, this one is pure cotton instead of having canvas texturing. You feel the texture by looking at or touching it, making it one of the best papers for art prints to use when you want to apply your paint directly.
The surface has a high-resolution inkjet coating which ensures that you get high-resolution images when using it. You can use any printer you have, and you will not have any trouble feeding it into the printer.
Consider spraying the paper with inkjet fixative spray to ensure that your art does not fade. Ensure that you test out the link you have selected to use on it before using them. It’s one of the best options you have to give your art a premium look.
- Using this paper for art print allows you to produce detailed and high-quality work.
- The fact that it is water-resistant protects the integrity of your works.
- It comes with qualities that make it applicable in various areas—for instance, high-end photography and presentation prints.
- It is acid-free and fully archival, suitable for fine art, photography, and limited edition prints.
- Feeding this paper into a printer requires you to master a specific technique.
6. Promaster Fine Art Inkjet Paper
- 100% cotton Rag
- Multiple printer compatibility
Promaster Fine Art Inkjet Paper is similar to others in this review, like Finestra Art Smooth Fine Art Double-Sided Sheets because they are both cotton. Since they are acid-free, you are free to experiment using various types of ink with them until you find the best option.
You can use any kind of printer with this paper. It’s one of the most durable papers since no quality advancement chemicals are used on it.
One thing that caught our interest is that you can use either of the sides of the paper. You should try this paper if you are looking for flexibility and ease of use.
- It is completely acid-free, which maintains the quality of your art.
- Promaster Fine Art paper is compatible with most printers.
- The product artwork from this papered art for print is long-lasting and durable.
- It does not have an artificial brightener, which would compromise ink quality.
- This paper has a texture that limits its use to photography.
- You cannot use this paper in HP inkjet printers.
7. Hahnemuhle Matte Fine Art Paper
- Matte finish
- Bright white
- Inkjet paper
- 100% cotton
When using this paper, you can expect smooth results, and your work does not have lines or blemishes when you use it. The fact that it is cotton plays a significant role in preserving your creations.
Its cotton characteristic ensures that your art does not discolor or fade over time. You can use it to produce museum-grade artworks.
We recommend it to you if you want to experiment with various printing techniques. You will find its compatibility with multiple printers also very convenient.
It also offers superior thickness, ensuring that it can hold the ink. Look into using this paper if you are an artist who wants to grow.
- You can use this paper for museum-grade art production since it’s high-quality paper.
- Its thickness ensures no problems with the quality of your print.
- The whole set comes with a variety of paper to experiment with various printing techniques.
- It does not come with a clear description of whether it’s acidic or not.
Buying Guide for The Best paper for Art Print
Unlike regular paper, art paper has unique features that you should look for. These features make art paper compatible with the kind of work it does. This buying guide will tell you what you should look for when buying paper for art prints.
Enduring that your art print paper is acid fee is essential since it determines the quality of your work. You can use any kind of ink on acid-free paper. However, the issue with art paper with acid is that it discolors over time.
Discoloration, especially on photographs, is an issue that you can’t afford to overlook when maintaining the quality of images. Acid-free art paper prevents the paint from braising or peeling after some time.
Cotton paper for art prints produces the best quality art. A fitting example of a paper with this material is PPD Inkjet Canvas Printable Cotton. This kind of paper is pure and durable, and the quality of cotton paper gets even better when it’s mated with water.
The product is a firm printing surface that allows flexibility. Cotton paper is excellent for artists and photography professionals.
Art paper print that is water-resistant allows you to work on them using watercolors. The kind of papers should also be smudge-proof and scratch-proof, and it will also be an advantage if your paper is quick drying.
Weight in this context refers to the thickness of the sheets, and a heavyweight in the paper’s subject refers to a feature that makes that paper stand out among the rest. The unit used to measure the weight of paper is Gram per Meter, GSM.
A high GSM means that the papers are heavy and thick. Paper for arts should have a high GSM, and it implies that it can hold a lot of ink without ink bleeding into the paper.
The most common paper size for art paper is 8.5”×11” or 5”×7”. Size matters when you have to consider your project, and it would be in your interest to consider getting multi-purpose paper for art prints.
Consider getting paper that is compatible with most printers. For instance, consider Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper manufactured by EPSON but is compatible with most printers. Besides printer compatibility, you have to also look at how compatible your paper is with dye-based inkjet and pigmented ink.
Colour and Texture
Most paper is white or has a white shade, and these make the best options for use in a variety of projects. They are compatible with most printers, and paper for art with a high brightness score is also the best option.
Texture can either be smooth, coated, embossed, or textured. It is easier to find smooth and textured paper than other options. For that reason, use smooth paper to get the best results.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How thick should paper for art prints be?
The kind of art you plan on executing on art print paper determines the thickness. You can go for 170-100 gsm paper for thick fliers and posters. It is sturdy and weighty
Q: Should art print be glossy or matte?
The art print, especially the online wall art variety or printed work, can be glossy or matte. Consider leaning towards matte for fine art prints. Polished finishes are also great for photography.
Q: What is the use of paper for art print?
Paper for art print is for printing art reproduction or photographs. It’s because the images have the best light and are exhibition-worthy.
Q: Can you draw on printing paper?
You can draw on regular print paper for practice as it’s more affordable than art paper. So, it shouldn’t be a loss. You can transfer your skills to art paper once you have polished them.
Using the best paper for art prints can impact the quality of your art print. Most documents for art prints are within the affordable range. When looking for a product with unique features, only use highly-priced paper for art prints like Finestra Art Smooth Fine Art Double-Sided Sheets. As long as you know to use paper for art print, you are on your way to creating great art.