Imagine if there could be a highlighting pen which could not only outline vital info, but also extract crucial text. And then digitally passed it to your device instantly, kind of like an automated “copy and paste” feature. Sounds like a dream, doesn’t it? But guess what. Today you’re in luck as such a gadget does exist indeed!
You perhaps have been wondering how you could move important data from your notes/books straight to your computer devices.Usually, physically copying all the data to your computer can be quite the daunting process that is likely to take up a large chunk of time from your schedule.
But with the aid of the best pen scanners in the market, it would just take mere minutes.Some even support a text-to-speech technology that can support individuals with reading difficulties including dyslexia.
When buying a pen scanner, the wide variety provided by the industry makes it a little confusing to pick the perfect one. So stay tuned as we are about to make it much simpler.
Comparison Chart For Top 10 Pen Scanners
Best Pen Scanner Reviews
1. Livescribe 2GB Echo Smartpen
- Amazing memory storage capacity of 2 GB
- Transfer files directly to computers using USB
- Audio recording, time and date, translation, scientific calculators, etc.
- Battery dependent for portability
Smartpens track anything you write, hear and say-you’re never going to forget a single word. Only tap onto your documents to play your lectures or meetings. Free Echo Desktop app stores your records and notes directly to laptops/computers for instant, convenient accessibility.
You can search for words in the documents and identify what you require immediately. Simply send and exchange your audio and notes via email or a variety of platforms.You can move captured audio and notes conveniently to your PC or Mac using the micro-USB connection.
You’ll require more space when digitizing your files; which this smart-pen delivers with its 2 GB of memory.It can store or more than a thousand sheets of text or audio of 200+ hours. The device also comprises a non-removable 300 mAh rechargeable battery for your on-the-go requirements.
Livescribe dot paper operates standard sheets of paper with a special layout of minuscule microdots. It makes it possible for the device to record all that it sketches or writes on these dot papers.
Livescribe smart-pens can only function with Livescribe Dot Paper, and a wide range of dot paper types and sizes are available to meet all your versatile demands. Your very own dot paper can be printed free of charges as well through a variety of printers using the Echo Desktop App.
- This smartpen is compatible with Mac and Windows operating systems.
- It comes with 2GB of memory space to save your recordings.
- There’s a USB 2.0 port for seamless connectivity to your PC.
- It does not support MyScript.
2. C-Pen Reader
- Ultra-compact and light for maximized portability
- Built-in French, Spanish and English dictionaries
- 4 GB memory capacity and 1200 mAh battery
- Compatible with Linux, Chromebooks, Mac and Windows
This C-Pen Reader pen scanner is a significant technological advancement for all those who are studying English, French, or Spanish and is a total game-changer for people suffering from reading disabilities such as dyslexia.
This model is a pocket-sized, fully portable device that is capable of reading texts aloud with an electronic human-like voice in English, French, or Spanish. It comes with a spectacular memory of 4GB and a rechargeable 1200 mAh battery to run and save all you need like a pro.
The inbuilt dictionary places the strength of English, French and Spanish dictionaries in your pocket. Simply moving the nib over a word will instantly show the meaning and read it aloud. It also collects texts and exports to a Mac or PC, making it efficient for teachers, students, and professionals to record crucial data.
With its ultra-lightweight and highly compact design, it means that even the young generation learners can easily use this gadget. It is appropriate for 6+ years old children including the grown-ups too. The device also enables voice-recording facilities.
This might be the only handheld device in the market that is genuinely portable-not requiring any computer of Wi-Fi. But, if you choose to use a computer, it is compliant with Mac, Windows, Chromebooks and Linux.
- The C-Pen Reader comes with a text-to-speech function that requires no computer or Wi-Fi functionality.
- It comes with 8GB of storage to save your text.
- Supports scans in multiple languages of English, Spanish, or French.
- It is pricey.
3. Scanmarker Air Pen Scanner
- Can translate into 50+ languages
- Can also function as a barcode scanner
- Extremely light, weighing only 0.99 ounces
- Types it all, be it a report in Word, entering info in Excel, social posts
Scanmarker Air utilizes its state-of-the-art patented technology to produce a high-caliber, precise, and reliable portable scanning remedy. Just slide it over a line of typed text and watch it display on your monitor or mobile screen instantly.
If you are generating a report in Word, entering useful info in Excel, or sharing a quotation with your Facebook friends, the Scanmarker Air can type it all efficiently.You can scan around 30 times speedier than typing manually!
It is a highly praised efficiency device for students, lawyers, doctors, teachers, librarians, researchers, or anyone who needs instant text scanning.Using the translation function’s (Over 50 languages) help, you can conveniently grasp a foreign language. The device also serves as a powerful barcode scanner.
You can learn and achieve a better interpretation of the scanned output using its reading out loud feature. It will enable you to listen to the text when scanning to your phone or computer.
This device also makes it an efficient support system for individuals with dyslexia or other disorders- aiding every pupil to achieve academic excellence. It is extremely light with a weight of only 0.99 ounces which makes it the ultimate portable gear with its compact layout.
- The Scanmarker Air Pen Scanner is compatible with iOS, Mac, and Windows operating systems.
- It comes with a text-to-speech feature that reads texts in real-time.
- This smartpen can scan up to 3000 characters per minute.
- There is a yearly sub fee to use the PDF Print function.
4. VuPoint Solutions
- Operates on SD card of max 32 GB
- Two AA batteries thus no chargers required
- LCD screen displays device status and other details
- Scan area of up to 8.27 x 98 inches
This handheld VuPoint Magic Wand Portable Scanner can scan documents, photographs, magazines, newspapers, and practically every smooth surface. They are then conveniently stored into an SD card (can support 32 GB cards at max).
It has a scan area of 8.27 x 98 inches. The device can also save any legal or letter-sized documents or photos as PDF or JPEG formats, even at the maximum resolution.It functions on two AA batteries and thus requires no chargers.
The device can conduct a minimum of 180 colored scans or 200 monochrome scans per set of regular AA batteries. The LCD screen shows the status of the system and other relevant details. It’s a smart method to save files and images on the move and it needs an SD card to function.
The Optical Character Recognition software enables you to transform stored files into editable text and searchable documents. These files are compliant with famous spreadsheet and word processing applications.
- The VuPoint Solutions comes with an LCD screen that displays information about your device.
- It comes with a free Optical Character Recognition software that converts saved documents into editable text.
- It is lightweight and perfect for storing textual info on the go.
- The instruction manuals need to be better explained.
5. PenPower WorldPenScan X
- Bluetooth 4.0-BLE technology for wireless scanning via mobiles and Mac
- Can even extract texts from screenshots
- Easy to find book info and reviews
- Many languages are supported including Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, etc.
With this device, you can scan on the move and translate instantly. The WorldPenScan X introduces Bluetooth 4.0-BLE tech to enable wireless transfer of data to any Mac or mobile device. You can scan written text and record sentences or words on your iPhone, iPad, and Android devices.
It lets you scan and modify files on the run; and also translate and distribute information instantly. The device can recognize a large number of languages including English, Korean, Japanese, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Vietnamese, Arabic, Traditional or Simplified Chinese, etc.
This model is capable of recognizing bank fonts and barcodes including MICR OCR-A, OCR-B, on your computer devices. It has a USB connectivity for Windows OS.
It is possible to edit scanned outputs directly in Excel, Word, PowerPoint-mail, iWork; and also browsers or specialized searches on YouTube, Google, and Wikipedia.
It is effortless to obtain book information and feedback in Google Books via scanning their ISBN code. You can even retrieve data from screenshots and send them to Microsoft Excel/Word/Skype/Line for further processing.
- This smartpen supports more than 10 languages, including German, Spanish, Italian.
- It scans text and recognizes Mathematical formulas, barcodes, and chemical formulas.
- It is compatible with Chromebook, Mac Android, Windows and iOS.
- This pen can only be used on one computer at a time.
6. ExamReader C-Pen
- Text to speech
- Standard 3.5 mm connector
- human-like digital voice
Are you an examiner who needs a smart pen for use in an exam hall? Then, this smartpen is made just for you. It is lightweight and about half the size of many scanners on the market; as such, this pen is handy and comfortable to carry around.
The ExamReader C-Pen comes with a 600MHz CPU and an OLED screen to monitor the processes going on in the device. In addition, the screen provides an avenue to confirm the texts or corrections you like to highlight. Coming with a standard 3.5 mm connector, this machine will read out your text like a natural human voice.
This smartpen also comes with a 1,200mAh battery capacity. As such, this pen is available for long hours of use. In addition, it is compatible with multiple languages, including Italian, French, Spanish, and English.
This pen is also useful for students who have difficulties reading and understanding questions and who might like to listen to questions in an exam hall.
- This pen is equipped with a human-like digital voice to read your texts.
- It is portable and light, and easy to carry around.
- Charges fast and lasts long on battery.
- It takes time to get the text alignment correct.
7. Ectaco C-Pen 3.0 Handheld Scanner
- Cyrillic and Greek characters compatible
- Mac and Windows compatible
- USB Connectivity Technology
The Ectaco C-Pen is a portable device compatible with Windows and Mac operating systems. The pen can be easily connected to your personal computer via an in-built USB port. Also, the unit can be recharged through this port.
One standout feature about this smartpen is the ease of use. It is also easy to install and configure. But should you need an operating manual, it can be easily downloaded from Ectaco’s website. You will also find plenty of functionalities and recommended settings that will help you better understand the capabilities of this device
Worried most smartpens can’t read Latin and Greek characters? Worry no more! The Ectaco C-Pen is designed to read over 100 languages, including complex Latin and Greek characters. No matter the surface you have the text on, this smartpen will recognize and read it out loud to you.
This device does not come with an in-built battery. As such, you need to plug it into a USB port to power it on. Nevertheless, it is affordable, scans accurately, and is sleek.
- This smartpen can recognize Greek and Latin characters.
- It can recognize and read text off a wide variety of surfaces.
- Portable, simple to install and configure.
- It does not come with an in-built battery.
8. IRISPen Air 7
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Text-to-speech functionality
- Lithium-ion rechargeable battery
This advanced smartpen is perfect for extracting texts from magazines, invoices, newspapers, and more. It allows seamless transfer of text into electronic format on the go. More crucial is the compatibility with Google Docs, Text Editing, Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, and World packages.
The IRISPen Air 7 is completely wireless. With it, you can scan to your computer, smartphone, and other smart devices through Bluetooth technology. Apart from its superb scanning ability, this machine can translate texts to more than 50 languages. In addition, after scanning, you can select reading mode to have this smartpen read and translate to a language of choice.
What’s more? With an inbuilt Lithium-ion rechargeable battery, you can take this pen anywhere you want when fully charged. In addition, it will scan and read your texts for you for long hours non-stop.
- This smartpen can translate scanned texts into 55 plus languages.
- It comes with Bluetooth technology that makes it easy to hook up with PC, smartphones, and other smart devices.
- Apart from text, this machine can also recognize logos, signatures, and MICR CMC-7 font barcodes.
- The instruction manual can be more explanatory.
9. WorldPenScan USB SE
- Support barcodes
- Multiple language support
- Image saving mode
- Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook compatible
The WorldPenScan USB SE is advertised as one of the most reliable pen scanners for Windows and Mac. Without typing, one can easily digitize text in seconds with minimal fuss. Plus, you can scan screenshots and forward them to the application of choice in minutes.
One feature that we love about this pen is its multilingual functionality. It supports over 200 languages, as such, useful across national divides. Furthermore, when choosing the translation language, it prompts you to select either a regular or business translation. Therefore, you can be sure you will be getting high-quality translations depending on your selection.
The WorldPenScan USB SE scan docs in horizontal and vertical orientations. And supports sending outputs to personal computers for edits using Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and other editing apps.
- This smartpen can recognize bank fonts and bar codes.
- It can recognize and scan images into documents.
- Supports business-level translation of scan text for learning demands or business applications.
- It does not come with an in-built rechargeable battery.
10. Wizcom WRP2
- Text to speech
- 3 pounds of weight
- Display screen
The Wizcom WRP2 is one of the smallest Pen Scanners on the market. Despite the size, take nothing from it; this smartpen can store 1000 pages of scanned text. Putting the size in perspective, it’s so compact that you can slot it in one of your pockets, and no one will know you have anything there.
In addition to being super-portable, it has a nice build that makes it very easy to hold. Its operation is similar to highlighting a portion of a book for emphasis, only this time, it’s with a digital reader.
Scanning text and transferring the same to your computer or smartphone is super-easy with this device. It’s as easy as moving files within folders on your smartphone. This device’s competitive advantage over many of its competitors is that you do not need to press a button to scan texts. As such, no more discomfort of pressing a button to document text on your device.
The menus on this device are built with users in mind. One glance at the buttons, and you know what works for what function.
- This smartpen comes with a screen to monitor the device’s processes.
- Small and portable and will fit into your pocket easily.
- It comes with earbuds to help you enjoy the text-to-speech feature.
- It does not come with any wireless functionality.
Pen Scanner Buying Guide
Many of the pen scanners available on the market can scan entire pages in under a minute. There are, however, several models that miss the mark and hence, require more time to scan a single document page.
So pick a good model that is quick and easy to scan numerous documents and large pages in a short space of time.
Storage space, too, matters greatly. If you’re intending to use such scanners in your workplace, you ought to look for a model that comes with more internal storage. If the memory is not big enough, you may need to clean the memory of the device periodically.
The battery capacity of your pen scanner will define the duration you can use it for before it needs to recharge again. Therefore, aim for a pen scanner with longer battery life, particularly when you’re working away from your home or office.
A pen scanner should always be developed with a portable, compact, and lightweight structure that will help you to bear it everywhere you go.
These devices are so minuscule that you can keep them easily for quick scanning. So, pick a good gadget that you can effortlessly fit in your handbag or bag so that it can be used from anywhere.
Make sure that the device you purchase is compliant with your devices or computer. Check that the software you need can be installed easily; and if you desire for a portable alternative, it has a rechargeable high-capacity battery.
Choose a device that recognizes more than many languages along with English such as German, Japanese, French, Chinese, Italian, etc. Some devices can understand over 150 languages. With them, you can scan words within a few minutes
Translate texts quickly to make your reading effortless and smooth. There are also models that have built-in full dictionaries and even support text-to-speech facilities and voice recordings.
Pen scanners could be a huge godsend to those who read large volumes of texts and require a great deal of note collection. These devices can scan, save, and move chosen texts, as well as hand-written notes, numbers, and small pictures too.
Some of the best pen scanners can also translate text into foreign dialects. This can be precious while traveling overseas or mastering a foreign language.
Whether you are a business official or a student who require to quickly summarize your documents, pen scanners will help you a lot. Also, these devices can aid people with learning disabilities as well as other reading challenges.